Thursday, March 21, 2013

Westside Diving

Oh my gosh! It's been so long since I went diving! Dan and I finally got to use our Aaron's Dive Shop groupon for 2-tank boat dive in December. It was so great to dive with Dan again...our last dive together was in July!

Aaron's Dive Shop dive boat at Waianae Harbor

It was not ideal conditions the day we went, super windy and a little choppy. So we didn't go very far away from the Waianae Boat Harbor. But we had so much fun! I think it could have been the worst day ever and I still would have been stoked! The first site we dove was called Landing Craft Deep. We were fairly conservative and didn't go the max depth (90-100ft), we stayed above the ship at about 83ft.

Landing craft bow
My camera was still out for repairs at this point so all our pictures are blue :)

Me diving around the bow of the landing craft
I am a little sensitive to nitrogen narcosis and so I don't usually like to go deeper than 80-90 feet, unless there is something really cool deeper.

Looking up at the surface
Kissing fish! Haha. Not really. But the foreground/backgound trick definitlely makes it look real
We were down on the wreck for about 25 minutes and saw a lot of really interesting animals! Inside a exhaust or smoke pipe I saw two golden gobies! I tried to show them to my husband but underwater communication is not always effective...and sometimes it's just downright hilarious! We also saw a stingray, a blue dragon nudibranch, and a single pyramid butterflyfish. Obviously we saw much more but those were the "stars" of the dive.

The second dive was shallower and the site was called Two Tanks. I like shallow dives because you get to stay down longer and are able to take your time.

Marlin spike auger

Whitley's boxfish
Do you see the octopus? It's got its eye on you!

Imperial nudibranch train
My husband and I love nudibranchs...A LOT. We love them so much that we went as nudibranchs for Halloween a few years ago. No one knew what we were. We got several really weird guesses. My favorite was "WHOA! Are you like, psychedelic ninja turtles?!"

 Jolly green giant nudibranch and Imperial nudibranch. This is how marine biologists dress up for Halloween :)

Kangaroo nudibranch

Scrambled egg nudibranch

Goldring tang with chromis school

Snake eel


No comments:

Post a Comment