Monday, October 29, 2012

Kombucha--The Beginning

Kombucha and I have been in a passionate love affair for many years now. But it's always been sort of an "unhealthy" relationship, where I spend all my money and get only 16 oz of pleasure. But that is all about to change! 

This weekend my room mate, Grier, and I went to a kombucha growing class! It was so awesome! The class was held at The Green House. They offer all sorts of classes on sustainable living. I'm really looking forward to more classes! But, back to kombucha. For $20 we were able to talk to a woman who has been growing kombucha for several years and was very knowledgeable, we got a starter kombucha, and we got inoculate. I learned a lot about kombucha as well. Here is what I learned that I didn't know about kombucha:
  • Kombucha is the liquid produced by a symbiotic organism!! It is a SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast). I always thought that it was a mushroom because it's often called "mushroom tea". 
  • You feed the SCOBY a mixture of brewed tea, green or black, (that has cooled to room temperature) and sugar. 
  • Depending on how strong you like your kombucha, you can have kombucha within three days!
  • The SCOBY will grow to fit your jar and once it gets large you can cut it up and start new colonies!

My kombucha colony...DAY 1!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with it. Do you drink it and does it have amazing nutritional value or does it just taste wonderful? What other kinds of classes are you planning to take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You drink the liquid (kombucha) and it has many probiotics. It tastes...interesting. Usually you mix it with something like juice, tea...our teacher even recommended using it in dressings! If you want to try kombucha Whole Foods sells a brand called Synergy and those are all really tasty!

      Delete